Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Barnett Branch - Columbus Metropolitan Library


Today I set off to visit the Barnett Branch of the Columbus Public Library located on East Livingston Ave. near the Barnett Community Recreation Center. This is a part of Columbus I have rarely visited, so I did a little Google research to find a likely non-chain place to eat lunch. I settled on what appeared to be the restaurant closest to the library—Fisher Fish & Chicken about a quarter of a mile east on E. Livingston. It turned out to be takeout only, so I ended up getting a combo  order of smelt, chicken wings, fries, and a can of soda for $10.49, which I enjoyed in my car. (If you visit this place, you should expect to be called sweetheart and/or baby several times by the woman taking your order.)



The library entrance leads to a small lobby area with restrooms and a drinking fountain off to one side.



My first impression of this library was a sense of light and openness, especially from the atrium-like space with skylights extending the length of the library.



The librarian I spoke with at the information desk told me the library was built in 1992 and underwent a month-long remodeling late last year. The library reopened just this past Dec. 3 under a new name. It used to be called the Livingston Branch. But after a survey in early 2019, the name “Barnett” was chosen to more easily differentiate this branch from the Driving Park Branch, which is also located on E. Livingston. I guess this is why I'd been wondering why I'd never heard of a "Barnett" Branch. (My Driving Park blog post is HERE.)  A CML internet post indicates that the renovation included reconfiguring furniture and general flow, installation of new carpeting and ceiling tiles, as well as landscaping and general maintenance. The library also received a specialized Ready of Kindergarten area in the children’s section. Pictured are the Children’s Area just to the left of the library entrance and the Homework Help Center  just to the right.


The new Ready for Kindergarten area is in the far corner of the Children’s Area. The computer stations for children are along one wall beside the storytelling area. There are bookshelves for toddlers and younger kids in the center of the room, and a wall of shelves offers a good selection of books for older elementary children.




Since I started looking for Mo Willems’ “Elephant & Piggie” books last August, I’m finding it harder to track down one I haven’t already read. I think there are 22 of them at present. Today I found Pigs Make Me Sneeze! and really enjoyed it.



I moved on the Homework Help Center with its computer stations and many study tables. I did note that there were none of the usual college banners I’ve seen at other CML branches. (Perhaps they just haven’t been put back up since the renovations.)


I was intrigued by the flyer calling for students ages 5-18 to participate in Barnett’s Black History Month Celebration Presentation.



The library’s computer stations were busy enough that I was finding it difficult to photograph the area without including people’s faces. I eventually took one photo from the Homework Help Center and a second from the other side where there is a reading area along with racks for periodicals.


Beyond this reading area are the bookshelves for adult nonfiction and for new arrivals.



Across the atrium space from the reading area is a Teen Area with a number of computer stations as well as work/study tables. The adult fiction bookshelves are on this side of the library, with the shelves for teen books facing the teen space.


At the end of the atrium space between the fiction and nonfiction sections, there is a Quiet Study room with three walls of windows looking out on the park space behind the Barnett Recreation Center. (That room was busy enough that this was the only photo I could get without identifiable people in it.)



There’s not a lot of art on display in this library, but it was good to see multiple images from the work of Columbus artist Aminah Robinson.


When it came time to go looking for books on my Amazon wish list to check out, I discovered I hadn’t brought my list with me.  Recalling several of the authors included on the list, I was able to find the two books below from the list.



In the course of browsing the shelves, I picked up four “new finds.” New finds are the main reason I so enjoy browsing in libraries and bookstores. Since I haven’t had a library book checked out in more than three weeks, I said to myself, “Why not?” and ended up checking out all six books. I’ll see how many I can read by next week’s library visit.




After checking out all six books, I returned to one of the blue chairs in the periodical reading area to read for the next hour or so before I’d have to head for home.  All in all it was a most enjoyable lunch-and-library afternoon!















No comments:

Post a Comment