Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Larry R. Jackson Branch - Lakeland (FL) Public Library


Toward the end of August, I traveled to Lakeland, FL, to visit my father, who is nearly 98 years old, as well as several others family members. Before I left, I learned that one of the libraries in Lakeland is the Larry R. Jackson Branch Library, so I simply had to add it to my library visits, given that I have a brother named Larry Jackson (but with a different middle initial). So on Monday morning August 26, I headed from my hotel to visit the library on N. Florida Ave. with plans to go to a local diner for lunch afterwards. When I got parked at the library, I began taking pictures as soon as I got out of my air-conditioned  car, not realizing that the extreme humidity that morning would condense on my camera lens. Hence the slight fuzziness around the edges of my first two photos, the one above as well as the one below of the sculpture of books beside the library sign.


My initial impression upon entering the library was of a bright and open airy space with high ceilings and lots of windows. (It was also nicely air conditioned on this steamy Florida morning.) I could see the length of the library, past the computer stations in the center of the room and on to the adult book shelves and the far windows.


To the left from the entrance is the library’s Service Desk and a couple of Tutor Rooms. I introduced myself to one of the librarians and learned that the library was built in 1995 and was named in honor of a local lawyer and civil rights activist who had worked tirelessly for years to bring a branch library to North Lakeland.


To the right from the entrance there is a very large children’s area with large windows to the street, lots of book shelves, and a large, colorful mural.



Later when I looked back toward the children’s area area I spotted the colorful “READ” sign hanging on the wall and went back to investigate How it was made. What a clever use of various colored plastic bottle caps.


From the children’s area, I walked past a Youth Services room and stopped for a view of some of the computer stations and the shelves for adult fiction and nonfiction.


I spent some time browsing in the stacks which included books, recorded media, and periodicals. Being a visitor to the area, I couldn’t borrow any books. However I was impressed by the selections at this small branch library.


All along the windows toward the street and the end wall of this room, there are study carrels bathed with natural light. This being Florida I was not surprised when I spotted a couple of lizards crawling on the ledges outside the windows, but I was unable to get any good photos of them.


Having completed my explorations of the library, I spotted a couple of green cushioned chairs against the divider between the book shelves and the computer stations, so I got out my Kindle and settled in to read until lunchtime.


A little before noon, it was time to leave. But before going I walked to the far end of the library to take a photo back toward the entrance. What a nice surprise to find this wonderful library bearing the same name (almost) of my brother Larry!


A short drive across town brought me to a nice little diner/family restaurant on E. Orange St. called the Cozy Oaks. The Texas Burger Melt with bacon, grilled onions, BBQ sauce, and cheddar cheese along with an order of onion rings really hit the spot. After lunch I went to spend the rest of the day with my dad, and I figured I’d visit the Lakeland Main Library the next morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment