Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Baltimore Branch - Fairfield County District Library


My morning began with an early visit to the dentist. So I figured, what could be better to turn the day around than a library visit? Since I hadn’t yet managed to visit a library in Fairfield County (other than my failed attempt to visit the Bremen Branch on Feb. 5, only to find it closed), I decided to drive about 40 miles southeast to the library branch in Baltimore, OH, a village of about 3000 people. It helped to find there was a diner in Baltimore where I could get a late breakfast, since I’d avoided eating anything before going to the dentist. I arrived at Ma-Maw’s Diner on S. Main St. at about 11:15 am and ordered the 2+2+2 breakfast—2 pancakes, 2 slices of bacon, and 2 eggs plus a side of home fries. Yummy! (I started in on the bacon before I thought to take the photo.)


Ma-Maw’s is a homey place, and I really enjoyed watching as a crowd of local folks gathered for lunch, with lots of people greeting the waitresses and one another—work crews, families with kids, elderly couples, etc., I took the photo below before the place filled up and there were only a few people in the place out of the frame to the right. The sign for the restrooms caught my eye and made me smile.


The library building is set back from S. Market St. (the main E/W street) just east of the town’s on stop light. When I entered the library, I stopped at the circulation desk just inside and saw that there were several children busy at some of the computers. At one point I was lucky to get a shot when they had their backs to me. Later after they had left I took a close up of some of the computer stations.


The library is basically one large, bright room. Straight ahead from the entrance are computers for adults and for children. Beyond the computers are low shelves with books and other materials for younger children. Along the walls are taller shelves containing juvenile fiction and nonfiction.


To the left are a number of long rows of book shelves with books and recorded medial for adults and teens. There are separate sections for mysteries, science fiction, romance, general fiction and nonfiction, teen fiction, audio books, and DVDs. While the total collection is relatively small, I had no trouble finding several titles on my wish list and actually ended up having to limit myself to just two. Beyond that, I jotted down several additional titles for my wish list to watch for on future library visits.


Along the far wall past the adult/teen shelves are racks for periodicals with several gnome statues to keep an eye on any readers. I enjoyed checking out some of the Pueblo Indian pots displayed on the shelves. They reminded me of some Acoma Pueblo pots I have from when I lived in New Mexico.


In one corner is a nice study table with lots of light from two adjacent windows.  Looking back from the table toward the circulation desk, I spotted a couple of comfy looking chairs. So I settled in and ended up reading for about 2 hours because I really wanted to finish Susan Orlean’s The Library Book, which I borrowed three weeks ago and was due today and couldn’t be renewed. (I think anyone who likes books and/or libraries would love this book!) What a fine way to spend the afternoon!



When I went to the circulation desk to check out the two books I’d selected, I discovered my Columbus library card wouldn’t work. While the Fairfield County District Library system is in partnership with Columbus, I still needed to get a Fairfield library card to check out book. With several more Fairfield libraries to visit and really wanting to check out the two books, I went ahead and got a card. (It turns out that any Ohio resident can get a library card for any Ohio public library.) The two books I found:  the 3rd book in Paolo Bacigalupi’s  Ship Breaker science fiction series, and the newest book in Jo Nesbo’s long-running Harry Hole mystery series.



I headed west on Market St./OH-256 toward home, but I’d gone only a few blocks before I was waylaid by Shaffner’s Drive In, a local ice cream and hamburger stand. A black raspberry soft serve ice cream cone was just perfect before making the hot and steamy drive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment