Thursday, March 7, 2019

Orange Branch - Delaware County District Library


I used so many photos for my blog post last week that I thought maybe this week I’d visit a smaller branch library somewhere outside of Columbus and take fewer pictures. How was I to know the Orange Branch of the Delaware County District Library would be so strikingly photogenic? I really loved this library! So here are even more photos.

My morning began with a lovely drive north up OH-315 along the Olentangy River to Home Road and then across Home Road to US-23. The Orange Branch Library is in Orange Township just to the West of US-23 a short way south of Home Road. Here’s what it looks like heading south on US-23—well, actually the photo is not from the highway. I took these photos from a pedestrian bridge over US-23 looking south towards the library.


When I got to the library at 10:20 am Wednesday morning, the parking lot was packed, and I got one of the last few spaces. Apparently there was some kind of gathering in the Community Meeting Room and the children’s story time was scheduled for 11 am. Several cars were turning in as I walked to the library. The quote below greets visitors as they walk up to the front entrance.


Just inside the door is a small lobby with the Community Meeting Room just around the corner to the right.


Straight ahead are a pair of open gates, which I suppose could be closed to allow use of the Meeting Room at times when the library itself is closed. Through the gates is a view the length of the library, and my first impression was of lots of wood and lots of light and lots of books. What an interesting and inviting space! Racks of new adult books are on the left. The book return and the book holds are on the right just before the Check Out Desk. I introduced myself to two of the librarians, explained my project, and was warmly welcomed by both.


On beyond the Checkout Desk is a long row of computers to the right and beyond those are the YA book shelves and then a Teen Zone reserved for teen use only after school hours.


This warm and inviting space includes computers, comfortable chairs, and a “garage door,” which I imagine is to close off the space and perhaps reduce any disturbance whenever a large group of teens might gather there.


A video screen in the Teen Zone was cycling through information about the library, including a notice of the library’s collection of board games.


A “center piece” at the far end of the library is a large stone wall with a long gas fireplace. Thankfully the fire was lit on this chilly 20 degree morning. I was hoping that at least one of the chairs in front of the fireplace would be unoccupied later when it came time for some reading.


Another inviting reading place is the bright, glass-walled Quiet Room on the other side of the two-sided fireplace with views to the north, east and south.


At 11 am I heard children’s voices singing “Make New Friends,” which clearly indicated that story time had begun. I headed back toward the front of the library where the children’s area occupies the NW corner of the building. Indeed it was a busy place with lots of parents and little children. I liked that the shelves for the children’s books were all a kid-friendly height.


I really liked that there were so very many books in this library. I do appreciate the philosophy in the Columbus Metropolitan Libraries and its 23 branches where they seem to focus on popular circulating books that are then supplemented by a patron’s ability to request books on-line or in person. Maybe I’m old fashioned in this, but for me libraries are mainly about books, lots of books all in one place. I love being able to browse through shelf upon shelf, not just to hunt for books on my list but also ready to be surprised by discovering new books I’m not already seeking as well as older books by authors I know… or just coming across titles like the one below that caught my eye and made me smile.




As I explored the library I walked by quite a number of glass-enclosed study rooms, both large and small and even some with windows.


Speaking of windows, those to the north look out on the Imagination Garden, a reading garden that features mythological creatures in large-scale art pieces by local artists. The first below is “Mosaic Dragon,” and the second is “Mythology-or-On the Origin of Stories.” The third photo shows the pedestrian bridge across US-23.



My search for books to check out was a rousing success, with two titles from my wish list as well as three “surprises.” Then it was time to find a comfortable place to sit and read for the next hour and a half. But there were just so many choices—some in quiet corners, others surrounded by book shelves, and still others beside windows with great views.



The Quiet Room was also an inviting possibility, but I discovered that both of the chairs in front of the fireplace were available. So I picked one and settled in with the fire on my right and a view the length of the library back toward the entrance to my left.



By 1 pm I had finished the book I brought with me to read, and it was time to check out my five new books below—two juvenile fiction books by Jonathan Auxier set in Victorian England, two thrillers by Ed Lin set in Taiwan, and a SF book co-written by one of my favorite authors, Steven Brust—and then head for lunch. But before getting in my car I walked out on the pedestrian bridge to take the photos of the library that opened this blog post. 


  
This blog is mostly about libraries, but I always try to eat lunch at a nearby restaurant and include some pictures. Several people have recently asked whether I’d tried Smash Burger yet. I haven’t. Since there was one not far south of the library on US-23, I headed there. I liked the double burger with blue cheese a lot. But even more I especially enjoyed the crispy brussel sprouts, a highly unusual side order to find in a fast food restaurant. Yummy! All in all it was wonderful lunch on a cold, cold day—plus I took some time there to get a good start on my second book of the day.






1 comment:

  1. Next time you are at Orange branch you should also check out the Outreach Department in the back of the building. We would love to have you!

    ReplyDelete