Monday, November 5, 2018

South High Branch - Columbus Metropolitan Library

I've decided that one of my initial goals in retirement is to visit every public library in the Columbus, OH, metropolitan area—to spend some time there reading and getting the feel of the place and (when possible) to check out one book that I have on my Amazon Wish List so as to (hopefully) keep from purchasing it.  My plan is to use this blog to document those visits along with certain other explorations as I adjust to retirement.  Never having blogged before, I'll have to see how this goes.

My first library visit was to the South High Branch, 3540 S. High St.  I combined this with stopping for a lunch at Dan's Drive In Diner, also on S. High St.  The burger and fries were pretty darn good.

  
The library entrance faces Highview Blvd. to the south, so the windows above the doors bring in lots of natural light.


The high ceiling atrium extends from the entrance all the way to the north end of the building, which is where I sat reading for about an hour.  Then I wandered the shelves to pick out a book and ended up selecting the one pictured below.  When I went to check it out, I discovered it had been so long since I'd checked anything out from the Columbus libraries that my card was no longer active in the system.  But the librarian quickly remedied that, and I now have a new library card.


I don't know how often I'll make and report on these visits.  I do know this was a great way to spend the afternoon in a part of Columbus I rarely get to.

No comments:

Post a Comment